September 2021 Update:
At our September Board of Directors Meeting, we reaffirmed our commitment to get back to hosting presentations once again. We have targeted November for such an event, To guide us, we have sent out a survey to our e-mail distribution lists asking opinions on whether an in person vs virtual gathering would be preferred.
If you are not on the distribution list and would like to offer an opinion, please click on the following link and give us your feedback.
Have you taken an opportunity to check out one of our new podcasts? If not, you can view one by going to the resource section of our webpage. The newest podcast is entitled ‘The Legacy of the Hammonds Plains Cooper’. The Podcasts are only about 10 minutes long so a view shouldn’t take too much of your time. Coming soon will be a talk about the unique charm of the once well-known Hammonds Plains landmark, the Yankeetown Church.
We are also currently putting together a presentation on ‘Hammonds Plains of the 1970’s’. We are trying to collect some photos of that decade to help in the presentation. If you have any which you think that might be useful to us, please contact Dave at email@example.com.
To help bring back memories of the 1970’s here is a list of a few things that were happening in Hammonds Plains during the decade:
– the subdivision ‘Highland Park’ coming on stream
– the Fire Department taking over leadership of community social events, including creation of FireFighters Club and Ladies Auxiliary.
– the old school being used as the community community hall.
– Pockwock Lake coming on stream as Halifax Water supply.
– The end of the era for saw Mills and Cooper shops in Hammonds Plains.
– Atlantic Speedway brings big crowds and lots of motor racing fans to the community during the summer.
– New businesses such as Kynock Trucking, Green Gables, Haverstock Camp Ground, IMP having a new presence in the community.
– the first organized youth sports program is created in the community with the Hammonds Plains Little League being formed.
– the Fire Department is expanded with the additional build of two truck bays in 1973.
– the ABC Bazaar is started as a joint fund raiser for the three traditional churches in Lower Hammonds Plains
– hockey series was introduced between the fire department and young people of the community leading to the awarding of the Henry Cup
– the paving of the Pockwock Road
– Phil Eisenhauer is elected as Halifax County Councillor for Hammonds Plains, the beginning of his 5 terms
3,933 total views, 20 views today